We’re just a day away from October and I am READY to get my Halloween on! I know Halloween will be quite different this year, due to the pandemic, but I’m going to make the best of it.
One of my favorite ways to gear up for spooky season is by watching scary movies. Typically we gather with some friends around Halloween and have a horror movie night, whether we’ll do this or not this year I’m not really sure, but we will definitely be spending our weekends marathoning some scary movies.
I have a lot of fond memories as a kid having sleepovers with my friends and watching scary movies. My dad thought it would be fun to introduce us to classic horror movies like Halloween and The Exorcist. I was probably too young to be watching movies like this, haha, but it definitely sparked my love for spooky stuff.
If I had to narrow down my favorite horror movies, I’d say my top 5:
- Trick ‘r Treat
- The Exorcist
- Rosemary’s Baby
- The Evil Dead
I don’t claim to be a horror expert or to have the best taste in scary movies, I like what I like. But if you’re not sure where to begin with your Halloween movie marathoning, I got you — and I’ve got where you can stream them, too.
Disclaimer: This list is not exactly kid-friendly, my apologies. A few are fine, but most I’d say would give your littles nightmares.
- Hocus Pocus: Disney +
- It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: Itunes
- Ghostbusters: Itunes
- Beetlejuice: Amazon Prime Video (rent or buy), Itunes
- Poltergeist (1982): Netflix
- The Blair Witch Project: Hulu, Amazon Prime Video
- Tucker and Dale vs. Evil: Amazon Prime Video
- The Witch: Hulu, Amazon Prime Video
- Trick ‘r Treat: Amazon Prime Video (rent or buy)
- The Evil Dead (1981): Netflix
- The Amityville Horror (1979): Amazon Prime Video, The remake from 2005 is on Hulu.
- The Cabin in the Woods: Hulu
- Paranormal Activity: Netflix
- The Shining: Amazon Prime Video
- Drag Me to Hell: Hulu
- Child’s Play (1988): Amazon Prime Video (rent or buy)
- The Exorcist: HBO Max
- Rosemary’s Baby: Hulu
- The Conjuring: Amazon Prime Video
- Hereditary: Amazon Prime Video
- Children of the Corn: Hulu
- Get Out: Amazon Prime Video (rent or buy), Itunes
- Hide and Seek: Amazon Prime Video (rent or buy), Itunes
- The Devil’s Rejects: Amazon Prime Video
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974): Amazon Prime Video
- Halloween (1978): Amazon Prime Video
- Scream: Amazon Prime Video (rent or buy)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street: Amazon Prime Video (rent or buy), Itunes
- Jeepers Creepers: Hulu, HBO Max
- I Know What You Did Last Summer: Hulu, Amazon Prime Video
- Psycho (1960): Amazon Prime Video (rent or buy), Itunes
Obviously this list is missing a several movies, but I just picked the ones I enjoy most. There’s one movie on my list that I liked, but will 100% never ever ever watch again because it scared me so bad: HEREDITARY. Oh, was that movie horrifying. I didn’t sleep well for weeks! It still scares me just thinking about it.
If you marathon some horror movies this month, let me know what you’re watching!